Admissions Requirements & Application Process
To prepare for the Fall 2017 application process to the Individualized Master’s Program, please assess your interest in the research of our Professors in the Psychology Department. Look over their websites to learn about their interests and read some of their publications so you are familiar with their research. A document that lists their interests is linked at the bottom of this page. Not all of our professors are accepting master’s students for fall, please review their research interests for the latest information.
The University of Oregon Graduate Application and the Psychology Department Application have now been combined into one general application. A $70.00 non-refundable fee is collected by the Office of Admissions.
For the Fall 2017 application process to the Individualized Master’s Program, the following materials must be received by the application deadline of May 15, 2017:
- University of Oregon Graduate Application and Departmental Application (application will be available first week of April 2017). *Important: When creating your online account, please be sure to select “Psychology – Masters” as the Major that you are applying to and “Master’s Degree” for the Degree Type. Note: Please keep your login credentials (username and password) in a safe place as you will be able to view the progress of your application and track the receipt of letters of recommendation and official GRE scores.
- Three letters of recommendation. The online application requests contact information for each reference (name, position, institution, email address, phone number). References will receive an email from us inviting them to fill out our online reference form and upload their letter of recommendation. Throughout the application process, you can return to your application to view which letters have arrived.
- Personal Statement. Upload as a PDF your 2-4 page document. This should (a) discuss your main research interests, ideas and questions; (b) explain how your experiences (e.g., professional work, research, volunteering) so far informs your interest and future goals; (c) state why you believe the University of Oregon is a good place for you to continue your education; and (d) discuss how your plan of study relates to the research interests of the faculty you would like to work with.
- Curriculum vita/Resume. Upload as a PDF your curriculum vita/resume.
- Writing sample. Upload as a PDF a recent class paper, thesis, or article.
- Official transcripts from all colleges/universities attended. Upload as a PDF your transcripts from all colleges/universities attended. You will also need to send official transcripts from all colleges/universities attended to: Office of Admissions, 1217 University of Oregon, Eugene, Oregon 97403-1217.
- Official GRE scores. Upload as a PDF your GRE report and request that ETS send official results to us (we do not receive scores electronically). We only require the general GRE, not the subject test. To have your results mailed to us, please use Institution Code 4846 and Department Code 2016. The official results must reach us by the May 15th deadline. It can take up to 5 weeks for us to receive results, even for the computer test. Please plan accordingly.
- Official TOEFL or IELTS scores (International applicants only). Upload as a PDF your TOEFL or IELTS report and have official results sent to Institution Code 4846. A minimum of 88 on iBT or minimum of 7.0 IELTS required.
You might also consider reviewing the Cost of Attendance located on the Registrar’s website.
Information on Housing and Child Care is available via the Housing Department’s website.
Information about Eugene website.
For information about the Psychology Program or the application process, please contact:
Phone: (541) 346-5060
Links to Masters Program Admissions-related documents: