Admission Requirements & Application Process
The application process for Fall 2018 has closed. We hope to notify all applicants of their status by February 28, 2018.
The application for Fall 2019 will become available the first week in October 2018. The application deadline for receipt of all materials listed below will be December 1, 2018.
To prepare for the Fall 2019 application cycle, please review the following:
- Take the GRE (Graduate Record Exam). The GRE General Test (verbal, quantitative, analytical/writing) is required of all applicants. The GRE Subject Test is not required. Applicants should take the general exam no later than November 1st to allow time for the official results to arrive before the December 1st application deadline. It can take up to 5 weeks for us to receive results, please plan accordingly as we do not receive electronic scores. The code for the University of Oregon is 4846 and the code for the Department of Psychology is 2016. Both codes must be used. Lack of official GRE scores is the top reason for incomplete applications.
- Take the TOEFL (international applicants only). Foreign students for whom English is a second language must have their TOEFL scores sent directly to the University of Oregon. The Department of Psychology and University of Oregon require a minimum score of 575 for paper-based test OR 88 for the Internet-based (iBT) version OR 7.0 for the IELTS exam. Please have official results sent to the University using Code 4846.
- International Applicants, please review information provided by our University’s Graduate School regarding required documentation here.
- Assess your interest in our professors. While completing the departmental online application, you will select up to four Psychology Professors whose research is of particular interest to you. To help with this process, please look over their websites to learn about their research interests and read some of their publications. See Research Interests of our Professors. (A complete list of Research Interests is also provided as an attachment below.)
Required Application Materials for Fall 2019:
- For your use, please download Tips and Checklist.
- Online application will become available here during the first week of October 2018. As you begin the application, select “Psychology – Doctoral” as your Major, within the College of Arts and Sciences. Note: Please keep your login credentials in a safe place as you can continue to work on your application until your payment is made or the December 1st deadline passes. When you submit the application, a $70.00 non-refundable fee is collected by the Office of Admissions ($90.00 non-refundable fee for international applicants). Once submitted, you can return to your application to monitor the receipt of your letters of recommendation and official GRE scores. Deadline for receipt of all materials, December 1, 2018.
- Personal Statement. Upload as a PDF your 2-4 page document. This should (A) discuss your main research interests, ideas, and questions; (B) explain how your research experiences (e.g., professional work, research, volunteering) so far informs your interest and future goals; (C) state why you believe the University of Oregon is a good place for you to continue your research (and, if applicable, clinical) training; and (D) discuss how your plan of study relates to the research interests of the professors you would like to work with.
- Three letters of recommendation. The online application requests contact information for each reference (name, position, institution, email). References will receive an email from us inviting them to fill out our online reference form and upload their letter of recommendation. After submitting your application, you can return to your application to monitor receipt of your letters.
- Official Transcripts. Upload as a PDF transcripts from all colleges/universities attended. You must also send official transcripts from all colleges/universities attended to our university’s Admissions Office (not the department): Office of Admissions, 1217 University of Oregon, Eugene OR 97403-1217.
- Writing Sample. Upload as a PDF a recent class paper, thesis, or article.
- Curriculum Vita/Resume. Upload as a PDF your curriculum vita/resume.
- Official general GRE scores. Upload as a PDF your GRE score report and request that ETS send official results to us. We only require the general GRE, not the subject test. To have your results sent to us, please give ETS both the Institution Code 4846, and the Department Code 2016. The results must reach us by the December 1st deadline. It can take up to 5 weeks for us to receive results, even for the computer test. Please plan accordingly as we do not receive electronic scores.
- Official TOEFL scores (international applicants only). Upload as a PDF your official TOEFL score report and request that ETS send official results to Institution Code 4846. A minimum of 88 on the IBT exam OR minimum of 7.0 on the IELTS exam is required by the University of Oregon.
Information on the Committee for an Inclusive Community (CIC) website.
Information on housing and child care is available via the Housing Department’s website.
Information on required immunizations is available via the University Health Center’s website.
Information about Eugene website.
For information about the Psychology Program or the application process, please contact:
Phone: (541) 346-5060
Links to Doctoral Program Admissions-related documents: