Frequently Asked Questions
Is the GRE required for admission to the doctoral program?
- Yes, official GRE scores (verbal, quantitative, analytical) are required of all applicants to the doctoral program. Official scores must be received by the application deadline of December 1st. Please request that ETS send your scores to Institution Code 4846 and Departmental Code of 2016. We do not require the subject test.
- You will upload a PDF of your official score report from ETS directly on the application and request that official scores be sent to the department.
- We do not receive electronic scores. Please allow at least five weeks for ETS to send your official results to us in time for the December 1st deadline.
Is the TOEFL required for all international applicants?
- Proficiency in the English language is vital to the academic success of international students. Students whose native language is not English must supply official results of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) examination as part of their application. Please request that ETS send your scores to Institution Code 4846. The departmental minimum score for the Internet-based TOEFL is 88. Official scores must be received by the application deadline of December 1st.
- If an international student has received a bachelors or masters degree from a college/university within the United States, the TOEFL is not required.
- You will upload a PDF of your official score report from ETS directly on the application and request that official scores be sent to the university.
- Is the application deadline a “received by” or “postmarked by” deadline?
- All application materials must be “received by” December 1st. This includes a completed online departmental application, three letters of recommendation, statement of purpose, curriculum vita/resumé, official transcripts from all colleges/universities attended, writing sample, and official GRE scores (plus official TOEFL scores for international applicants).
Is there an additional form to apply for departmental teaching/research positions?
- No additional form needed.
What about letters of recommendation?
- We only require three (3) references. Please be prepared to enter the individual’s name, position, institution, phone number and email address. References will receive an automated email requesting that they upload their letter of recommendation to the online application. All letters must be received by the application deadline of December 1st. Once you submit your online application, you will be able to return to your application to view the progress of your letters.
What if the writer did not receive the automated email?
- If the writer did not receive the automated email and you have submitted your application, you can return to your application and click on the link to have a new email sent.
Do transcripts have to be mailed directly from previous colleges / universities?
- Official transcripts are mailed to: Office of the Registrar, 5257 University of Oregon, Eugene OR 97403-5257.
- You will upload an unofficial PDF of your transcripts from all colleges/universities attended directly on the application.
What is the mailing address for sending official transcripts:
Office of Registrar, 5257 University of Oregon, Eugene OR 97403-5257.
When will decisions be made?
- Review of applications will begin as early as December 2nd. Interview decisions can be made as early as the second week in January.