These are some frequently asked questions that we receive about admissions to our doctoral program.
- Is the GRE required for admission to the doctoral program?
- As of September 24, 2020, GRE results are not accepted for Fall 2021 doctoral admissions.
- Is the TOEFL required for all international applicants?
- Proficiency in the English language is vital to the academic success of international students. Students whose native language is not English must supply official results of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) examination as part of their application. Please request that ETS send your scores to Institution Code 4846. The departmental minimum score for the Internet-based TOEFL is 88. Official scores must be received by the application deadline of December 1st.
- If an international student has received a bachelors or masters degree from a college/university within the United States, the TOEFL is not required.
- You will upload a PDF of your official score report from ETS directly on the application and request that official scores be sent to the university.
- When is the deadline? Is it received by or postmarked by?
- All application materials must be received by December 1st. This includes a completed online departmental application, three letters of recommendation, statement of purpose, curriculum vita/resumé, official transcripts from all colleges/universities attended, writing sample, and official GRE scores (plus official TOEFL scores for international applicants).
- Is there an additional form to apply for departmental teaching/research positions?
- No additional form needed.
- What about letters of recommendation?
- We only require three (3) references. Please be prepared to enter the individual's name, position, institution, phone number and email address. References will receive an automated email requesting that they upload their letter of recommendation to the online application. All letters must be received by the application deadline of December 1st. Once you submit your online application, you will be able to return to your application to view the progress of your letters.
- What if the writer did not receive the automated email?
- If the writer did not receive the automated email and you have submitted your application, you can return to your application and click on the link to have a new email sent.
- Do transcripts have to be mailed directly from previous colleges / universities?
- Transcripts can be mailed in by the applicant or directly from the college/university as long as the transcript remains in the original, sealed envelope from the college / university attended. Official transcripts must be received by the application deadline of December 1st.
- You will upload a PDF of your transcripts from all colleges/universities attended directly on the application and request that official transcripts from all colleges / universities attended be sent to the UO Registrar's Office.
- What is the mailing address for sending official transcripts?
- Office of the Registrar
5257 University of Oregon
Eugene, OR 97403-5257
- When will decisions be made?
- Review of applications will begin in early December. Interview decisions can be made as early as the third week in January.