- 45 credit hours in courses approved for graduate credit
- 24 of the 45 credits must be UO graded graduate credits (B- or higher)
- 30 of the 45 credits must be Psychology graduate credits
- 9 of the 45 credits must be in 600-level courses
- 2 approved graduate-level statistics courses (grade of B- or higher)
- Psy 607 Sem Research Ethics
- Completion of an approved research paper or thesis
- Maintain a UO Cumulative Graduate-Level GPA of 3.0 or higher
The Department expects that most students will complete the Master's degree in 1-2 years.
PROGRAM OF STUDY
All Individualized Master’s Program students and their advising committee will provide an outline of each student’s program of study. These study plans are due in the graduate secretary’s office not later than the fourth week of the student’s first term.
Together with their committee each student should identify, either in the Department of Psychology or in a different department, which graduate-level statistics courses would best meet the student’s needs and level of preparation in order to meet this requirement.
research project versus formal thesis
Students will be expected to complete a research project based either on literature analysis or an empirical research study. If the student submits a master’s thesis to the Graduate School, 9 of the 45 graduate credits must be in Psy 503. Note that the Department of Psychology does not require the research project be submitted to the Graduate School.
Students should discuss the review process for the project or thesis with their advising committee the term before intended completion. The review process can be lengthy and the approval of the project or thesis must be unanimous by the advising committee.
distinction between the master of arts and master of science degrees
Students pursuing an MA degree must demonstrate competence in a foreign language or have had two years in a foreign language, usually two years of undergraduate work in a foreign language with a grade of C or better. (For international students using English as a second language, English may be used as the foreign language.) The MS degree does not require a foreign language.
Individualized Master's Program Description